Plant with Purpose is a global Christian organization that addresses issues of deforestation and climate change, while empowering people to lift their communities out of rural poverty. For more than 30 years, Plant With Purpose has been a leader in operating at the nexus of Environmental Restoration, Economic Development, and Spiritual Impact. We believe that we honor God when we honor people and our planet. Come join our growing team and make a difference at this critical time in human history.
Plant With Purpose Thrive25 Strategy Statement: Inspired by the impact of our work in service to rural communities around the world, we are driven to grow our programs to help address the rising need. By 2025, we plan to work in 10 countries, 60 watersheds, and with over 100,000 families. Our revenue will exceed $10 million as we seek to become the premier organization operating at the nexus of environmental restoration and poverty alleviation.
On July 1, 2020 we launched into a new strategic period where we plan to grow 80% over the next 5 years. We need a V.P. of International Programs who will contribute to the achievement of these strategic goals by working collaboratively with our global team to set and execute a strategy that ensures Plant With Purpose programs are best in class, continuously improving, and optimized for future growth.
As the V.P. of International Programs, you will be a key partner in the development and implementation of organization-wide policies and programs that will contribute to Plant With Purpose’s overall success. You will oversee holistic, aligned programs and ensure that Plant With Purpose partners have the right training and knowledge to deliver optimal services and impact to farmer participants in the economic empowerment, environmental restoration, and spiritual renewal sectors. You will also work closely with our Innovation Lab on monitoring and evaluation, as well as new research contributing to mission-driven innovation.
As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, you will report to the Chief Operating Officer. Your responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Organizational Strategy and Leadership
- With the heart of a servant, sensitively and strategically lead the global leadership team in advancing Plant With Purpose’s objective to become the leading organization operating at the nexus of environmental restoration, economic empowerment, and spiritual renewal and oversee development of Plant With Purpose’s programmatic strategies in these key areas.
- Provide strategic leadership and oversight of the entire international programs team as it pertains to the organization's global security, change management, and business operations.
- Ensure that each region has the resources in place and the technical capacity to execute the transformative initiative that Plant With Purpose implements in each of our country programs.
- Programmatic Strategy
- Provide sensitive leadership and strategic oversight of regional and partner country programs throughout the Plant With Purpose International Partnership.
- Ensure that evidence, expertise, and experience from the field informs and shapes program approach, methodology, design, strategy, and implementation.
- Directly manage the ongoing change process within Plant With Purpose partner country programs that reflects the strategies identified in the Thrive25 strategic plan.
- Foster a learning agile environment among the global leadership team that is culturally adept, responsive, and effective in shaping the organization’s programs in each country.
- Operational Innovation
- Oversee the management of administrative and financial resources in Plant With Purpose’s regional and country operations to ensure they are optimized to achieve greater impact at the farm, community, and watershed levels.
- Lead Plant With Purpose’s commitment to high program standards of compliance and financial accountability.
- Understand different funding sources and subsequent operational opportunities and limitations.
- Given the central role of Plant With Purpose’s international program operations to the entire organization, work across departments to assure the effective and intentional integration of international operations.
- Lead a collaborative and participatory process of growth within Plant With Purpose regions and country programs in alignment with Plant With Purpose’s THRIVE 25 strategic plan.
- Partnership Engagement and Scale
- Engage with our country partners in a respectful and inclusive manner, honoring their distinctive organizational contributions while promoting a spirit of true global interdependence.
- Establish and promote relationships with other aligned international organizations, bilateral and multilateral donors, and private funders to advance and promote the work and programs of Plant With Purpose.
- Ensure that time and attention is given to promoting the scalable nature of Plant With Purpose’s program methodologies through continued evidence-based innovation.
- Supervisory Responsibilities
- You will foster a culture of collaboration, inclusion, and belonging; and, as a senior leader, uphold and model Plant With Purpose’s Core Values in your behaviors and actions with our local staff and global partners.
- As a supervisor, you will be responsible for upholding our SEEDS performance development philosophy:
- Support team members through coaching, developing, and cultivating
- Engage team members via discussion, participation, and relating to them
- Empower team members through feedback, collaboration, and authentic interactions
- Do by being strategic-minded and action-oriented
- Succeed - Enable team members to succeed in their performance, team cohesion, and individual and team effectiveness
- You will actively support the professional development and growth endeavors of the International Programs Team.
This position will require approximately 40% of international travel to our project sites. Currently, due to COVID-19, international travel has remained cancelled in order to keep our international staff and partnering families safe. Once travel restrictions are released, international trips will resume.
WHAT WE'LL LOVE ABOUT YOU
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in International Development or a related field
- You have 10+ years experience in developing and overseeing global programs, preferably in Africa, Latin America and Caribbean, and Southeast Asia , and in managing a team
- You have experience living overseas, and working in a cross-cultural, rural context
- You have the ability to adapt your communication and leadership to local norms, to immerse yourself in unfamiliar environments and learn from them in a first-person way
- You recognize the multidimensional nature of poverty, and embrace the complexity required to address it
- You are able to bring people from divergent cultures toward constructive engagement and dialogue across global partnerships
- You act with courage and clear intent in the face of challenges, in an authentic, engaging, and self-effacing way.
- You believe in leading through vulnerability, by being open and authentic in order to inspire credibility and trust.
- You turn dilemmas into advantages and opportunities when confronted with challenging and complex situations
- You are able to create quick, early versions of innovations, with the expectation that later success will require early failures
- You have the ability to implement and oversee an action-oriented approach to problem-solving and process improvement
- You must be able to travel to international project sites in rural settings
- You are willing to occasionally work overtime as needed
- You are fluent in the use of MacOS, Microsoft Office Products (Excel, Word, Powerpoint) and Google Suite products (GDrive, GDocs, GSheets)
- You are eligible to work legally in the United States without employer sponsorship
- You have a Master Degree in a related field, or equivalent years of experience
- You have experience with field research design
- You have fluency in one or more of the following languages: Spanish, French, Swahili, Thai
We are a collaborative, interdependent team that relies on relating and supporting each other to achieve our goals. Through the way we live within and shape our culture, we seek to build community and a sense of belonging in our local, national, and global families. Being a member of the Plant With Purpose team as the V.P. of International Programs will require you to be a coach, a strategist, a communicator, a servant leader, and an includer in the following ways:
- You have a deep connection with the holistic mission of Plant With Purpose and the diverse communities we seek to empower
- You have a personal alignment with our organizational core values of faith, collaboration, empowerment, innovation, stewardship, and sustainability
- You have a love for humanity, including those who live in poverty, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, or culture
- You intentionally build community and a team mentality by pursuing the "we" over the "me"
- You understand the priority of relationships in getting work done
- You feel most successful as a leader when each person on the team succeeds
- You reflexively express gratitude and growth-oriented feedback
- You think with a whole-system's lens when implementing a piece of it
- You accept feedback with a growth mindset
- You listen with an intent to understand by asking clarifying questions
- You seek out learning and development opportunities for yourself and others
- You strive to be an inclusive person by being aware of the existence and impact of your unconscious biases, and working daily to check them
This is an exempt, full-time position.
Compensation is dependent on geographical location, experience, and skillset. A Range based on San Diego market is available upon request.
- Health, dental, and vision insurances
- Life insurance (term)
- 401k match, up to 8%, after 6 months of employment
- 15 paid vacation days
- 8 paid sick days
- 12 paid holidays
This position is based in San Diego.
START DATE: Ideally between August 16–August 31, 2021
The exact start date can be flexible in order to accommodate the new hire's unique situation.
APPLY BY: June 11, 2021
Does this sound like you? If so, please apply on our website here. Please include a Cover Letter with your application that shows us how you are a great fit for this position, the organization, and our culture. Even though we are in the middle of COVID-19 and office closures, we are conducting virtual interviews in order to keep our candidates and employees safe.
Plant With Purpose is an EEO/AA employer.
If you have any questions regarding this position, or need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, please email Human Resources at email@example.com. No phone calls please.